Nunatsiaq Online
NEWS: Nunavut August 25, 2016 - 1:15 pm

What you read on Nunatsiaqonline.ca from Aug. 14 to Aug. 21

Top of 5 stories: lack of official comment on Nunavut MP Hunter Tootoo's woes

NUNATSIAQ NEWS
The most popular photos of the past week on the Nunatsiaq News Facebook page, according to views, likes and shares — a series of photos showing big waves threatening infrastructure in Grise Fiord, Nunavut — Canada's most northerly community. During the late evening of Aug. 19 and into the early hours of Aug. 20, huge waves battered and ran over the coastal road, although winds in Grise Fiord, population roughly 170, were not strong, said Bernard Ungalaaq Maktar, who took this and other photos you can see on the Nunatsiaq News Facebook page.
The most popular photos of the past week on the Nunatsiaq News Facebook page, according to views, likes and shares — a series of photos showing big waves threatening infrastructure in Grise Fiord, Nunavut — Canada's most northerly community. During the late evening of Aug. 19 and into the early hours of Aug. 20, huge waves battered and ran over the coastal road, although winds in Grise Fiord, population roughly 170, were not strong, said Bernard Ungalaaq Maktar, who took this and other photos you can see on the Nunatsiaq News Facebook page.
The second most-popular photo on the Nunatsiaq News Facebook page was taken by Ida Saunders of Kuujjuaq who shot this amazing pink
The second most-popular photo on the Nunatsiaq News Facebook page was taken by Ida Saunders of Kuujjuaq who shot this amazing pink "aqpik" moon rising about the horizon at about 8 p.m. Aug. 18.

The lead story again this week was on a recurring topic: Nunavut MP Hunter Tootoo — and how the “cone of silence,” an idiom born within the 1960s spy-spoof television show “Get Smart,” appears to have fallen upon Nunavut public officials with regard to the Hunter Tootoo controversy.

Tootoo resigned in May as minister of Fisheries and Oceans and the Canadian Coast Guard from the Liberal caucus in the House of Commons to enter addictions treatment — and then nearly two months later admitted to an inappropriate relationship with a female staffer in his Ottawa office.

Now many Inuit women say they hear only silence from Nunavut’s leaders in response to concerns they’ve raised about Tootoo, and women on social media and in interviews with Nunatsiaq News say Tootoo can no longer represent Inuit, especially women, on Parliament Hill.

That’s because Tootoo, by having that “inappropriate relationship,” implicitly condoned Nunavut’s long history of men who abuse their power in the workplace, most often at the expense of women.

You can read the entire story here.

(Qulliit Nunavut Status of Women did break a weeks-long silence among many organizations in the territory, issuing a release Aug. 24, which denounced the workplace relationship Tootoo admitted to engaging in earlier this year.)

The next top story — of the five leading stories on Nunatsiaqonline.ca, as determined by Google Analytics: Iqaluit resident André Doucet, 40, has been sentenced to two-and-a-half years in jail for carrying on an inappropriate sexual relationship with a 14-year-old girl.

Justice Susan Cooper read the sentence to Doucet at the Nunavut Court of Justice in Iqaluit Aug. 18, nearly five months after a jury found him guilty of sexual assault and assault.

The charges arise from events in 2012 and 2013, when Doucet, then 36, began a sexual relationship with the underage complainant, who was then 14.

You can read more here.

The past week’s other leading stories:

A bankrupt Nunavut taxi operator faces fraud charges: David Wiseman of Rankin Inlet has been accused of attempting to defraud insurance company.Lawyers will appear Aug. 29 at the Nunavut Court of Justice in Iqaluit to set a preliminary hearing date for a 51-year-old Rankin Inlet taxi operator, who recently declared bankruptcy. The former owner-operator of S & G Taxi Co. in Rankin Inlet, Wiseman faces one count of falsifying documents and one count of using a misleading receipt, stemming from charges laid by the RCMP in May 2015.

Searchers comb the land for missing Nunavut hunter, then suspend the search: Allen Kudlak Jr. of Kugluktuk was reported overdue Aug. 12 after he had set out on an all-terrain vehicle Aug. 11 from Kugluktuk carrying a rifle but no supplies. Seventeen ATVs, a boat and a helicopter were involved in the search, suspended Aug. 18. Kudlak Jr. left home Aug. 11 on an all-terrain vehicle to go hunting outside the Kitikmeot community. Six days later, search and rescue crews have found Kudlak’s ATV and his footwear, but not the missing man.

Email this story to a friend... Print this page... Bookmark and Share

 THIS WEEK’S ADS

 ADVERTISING