NTI director settles firearms case with two guilty pleas
David Kunuk pleads guilty to two charges related to May 2013 firearms incident
David Kunuk, Nunavut Tunngavik Inc.’s director of implementation, has pleaded guilty to one count of careless use of a firearm and one count of resisting arrest.
That’s in relation to a May 16, 2013 incident when the RCMP’s “V” division tactical team responded to a call in the 100s area of Iqaluit near the breakwater.
Kunuk, 41, who is currently on leave from his job, appeared at the Nunavut Court of Justice in Iqaluit Sept. 23 to enter a plea, following his Aug. 15 appearance when lawyers said they were working on a resolution.
Judge René Foisy read the guilty pleas to Kunuk in court, to which Kunuk stood up, nodded in agreement and said “yes, your honour.”
Another count of careless use of a firearm is expected to be withdrawn when Kunuk is sentenced.
Kunuk, clean-shaven and wearing blue jeans, a collared checkered shirt and a black hooded jacket, only appeared before Foisy for five minutes before walking straight out of the courtroom after his matter had been dealt with.
The sentence hearing and reading of the agreed statement of facts will take place Jan. 9, 2014.
Crown prosecutor Andrew MacDonald confirmed that they are proceeding against Kunuk by summary conviction, normally used for less serious offences.
Summary convictions often lead to very little or no jail time. Fines and probation are more common.
Before sentencing happens, Kunuk must consult with a clinical psychologist to “satisfy the Crown” said Kunuk’s Ottawa-based defense lawyer Jeffrey Langevin, appearing by telephone.
A candidate in the December 2012 NTI presidential election, Kunuk won the vote in Iqaluit, but finished sixth out of 10 candidates in the Nunavut-wide vote.