More candidates file for Oct. 28 election: Elections Nunavut
By late Sept. 24, 13 more Nunavut residents filed declarations of candidacy
Two days after Sandy Kusugak, Nunavut’s Chief Electoral Officer, said Sept. 23 that she had issued writs — that is, the official orders calling for the Oct. 28 territorial election — many candidates have already filed declarations of candidacy.
Returning officers and assistant returning officers, who began to accept declarations of candidacy Sept. 23, will continue to accept declarations until 2 p.m. Sept. 27.
By the end of Sept. 23, declarations had been received from 10 candidates.
As of late Sept. 24, Elections Nunavut had received declarations, accompanied by a $200 deposit, for 13 more candidates in the following ridings:
• Clara Hokayak Evalik in Cambridge Bay;
• Joe Savikataaq in Arviat South;
• Lorne Kusugak in Rankin Inlet South;
• Steven Mapsalak in Aivilik;
• Matthew Saveakjuk Jaw and Tommy Akavak in South Baffin;
• George Kuksuk in Arviat North-Whale Cove;
• Jeannie Ugyuk in Netsilik;
• Joe Enook in Tununiq;
• Leesee Papatsie in Iqaluit-Sinaa;
• Tom Sammurtok in Rankin Inlet North-Chesterfield Inlet; and
• Duncan Cunningham and Methusalah Kunuk in Iqaluit-Niaqunnguu.