Nunatsiaq Online
NEWS: Nunavut August 25, 2016 - 3:30 pm

Kugluktuk man charged with arson

Bruce Ohokak, 22, facing charges related to Aug. 1 incident

NUNATSIAQ NEWS
Police in Kugluktuk have charged a 22-year-old man with arson and breach of an undertaking in relation to a suspicious fire at an unoccupied house Aug. 1. (FILE PHOTO)
Police in Kugluktuk have charged a 22-year-old man with arson and breach of an undertaking in relation to a suspicious fire at an unoccupied house Aug. 1. (FILE PHOTO)

A 22-year-old man is facing charges of arson and breach of undertaking in relation to a suspicious fire Aug. 1 at a residence in the western Nunavut town of Kugluktuk.

The Nunavut RCMP issued a news release Aug. 25 saying officers responded Aug. 1 to a suspicious fire at an unoccupied residence, which had been undergoing renovations.

Police say local firefighters contained and extinguished the fire, but that the blaze caused “significant damage to the building.”

After an investigation, police charged Bruce Ohokak, 22, of Kugluktuk in connection with the incident. He is due to appear at the Nunavut Court of Justice in Iqaluit Aug. 30.

“Arson has several negative impacts upon the community such as the financial burden of clean up, the environmental damage fires can cause and the emotional trauma of community members involved or affected by the fire,” police said in their news release.

“Health and safety is a partnership between the police and the community,” the release said. Police encourage Nunavummiut to contact police if they see any suspicious behaviour in their community.

Email this story to a friend... Print this page... Bookmark and Share

 THIS WEEK’S ADS

 ADVERTISING