Nunatsiaq News
NEWS: Nunavut February 02, 2018 - 10:30 am

Welcome to Nunavummiut Uqausirmut Quviasuutiqarniq

February is Inuktut-language month in Nunavut

This month, Nunavummiut are encouraged to celebrate Inuit language and culture.
This month, Nunavummiut are encouraged to celebrate Inuit language and culture.

February is Inuktut-language month, Uqausirmut Quviasuutiqarniq, a time for Nunavummiut to celebrate Inuit language and culture.

And the theme for this year’s celebration is Inuit Ukpirijangit Unikkaangillu—Inuit beliefs and myths.

“Inuit beliefs and myths have been passed on in our language for thousands of years,” said Nunavut’s minister of languages, David Joanasie, in a Feb. 1 release.

“I encourage parents, educators, elders and youth to share them with one another, and speak Inuktut every day at home, at work, and in our communities. Celebrate our language and culture!”

As part of this year’s celebration, the Department of Culture and Heritage will release recordings of the 2017 winners of Qilaut, Nunavut’s annual Inuktut songwriting contest.

The winning songs will be available online and on CD.

Inuktut resources and books reflecting this year’s theme of Inuit beliefs and myths have also been distributed to every school, daycare and library in the territory, the Government of Nunavut said in its release.

Later this month in Iqaluit, the Nunavut-based publishing house, Inhabit Media, will hold a book-signing and meet-and-greet with a dozen of its children’s book authors, including Germain Arnaktauyok, Nadia Mike and Aviaq Johnston.

That event, held in collaboration with the Qikiqtani Inuit Association, will take place Feb. 25, at the Frobisher Inn, from 1 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.

#1. Posted by Jay Arnakak on February 02, 2018

I think the (official?) name, Uqausirmut Quviasuutiqarniq (or, A Celebration for Language) should be Uqausittinnik Quviasuutiqarniq (Celebrating our Language). After all, it’s called “Inuktut-language Month”.

#2. Posted by Quit Stalling on February 02, 2018

I wish Minister of languages would start proper Inuktitut training in
all Nunavut communities, then you would have something to
celebrate. If our govt. doesn’t give a darn why should any one else?

#3. Posted by uvaga on February 02, 2018

illaa #1 suqie UQAUSIPTINIIT uvaguli PT igvi TT

#4. Posted by Super Trooper on February 03, 2018

#2 That’s a good idea, I have no idea why this isn’t happening. Maybe there are no capable teachers? Or maybe it’s not just the government who doesn’t give a shit, it’s everyone else too? If you really care then volunteer, we already know the government isn’t going to save the day.

#5. Posted by Clocker on February 03, 2018

Comments #2 & #4,
I agree with your opinions, mostly.
When I started school I spoke Inuktitut, thanks to incompetent Inuktitut
instruction it soon vanished.
Education Departments problem, not mine.
There are too many freeloaders in Nunavut just waiting for some fool
of a volunteer to do their job for them.
Honest experience has taught me this, and frankly I just don’t care!

#6. Posted by Judith Burch on February 03, 2018

Language and culture are so significant to keep alive :  to teach young people and share the stories that have been passed down from the elders.
Stand up and be proud of who you are! Sharing has been so important in your culture and the rest of the world needs to learn from you!

#7. Posted by Clocker on February 04, 2018

#6,
Regardless of what race you are, I really wish people like you were
in charge of the Nunavut Inuktitut Programme. You have a good
determined spirit.
For too long we have been subject to Inuktitut teachers, who frankly
just C. G. A. F.  The evidence is all around us.