LETTERS: Around the Arctic August 04, 2017 - 3:00 pm

Farewell to Pauline Paton of Iqaluit

Pauline Paton, née White: June 21, 1928—July 27, 2017

Pauline Paton (née White)  June 21, 1928—July 27, 2017.
Pauline Paton (née White)  June 21, 1928—July 27, 2017.

With profound sadness, Pauline Paton was laid to rest on Aug. 2, 2017.

She was born in Voisey’s Bay, Labrador, 89 years ago.

She passed away at home in Iqaluit, surrounded by the love of her family, on July 27, 2017.

This beautiful, kind and gentle woman is survived by her daughter, Fiona, her sons, Richard, John and James and her grandchildren, Megan, Matthew, Nathan, Harry, Ian, Ben, Tony, Richard Jr. and baby Pauline.

We were all so lucky to have you in our life.

Bye, bye blackbird.

The Paton Family
Iqaluit

Email your letters to .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).

Nunatsiaq News welcomes letters to the editor. But we are under no obligation to publish any given letter at any given time.

In our print edition, we usually print letters on a first-come, first-served, space-available basis. In our online edition, we usually print letters as soon as we are able to prepare them for publication.

We edit all letters for length, grammar, punctuation, spelling, taste and libel. You may withhold your name by request, but we must know who you are before we publish your letter.

#1. Posted by Pat Roberts on August 04, 2017

My deepest condolences to the Paton family. I knew Pauline in Salluit (known in the 60’s as Sugluk), where she and Jack were close friends of my husband, Barry and I. I was very fond of Pauline and many were the mornings that she would drop in to share a mug of coffee and a cigarette. She was much loved in the community and her devotion to all who visited her dispensary was touching and remarkable. Life has taken us in different directions but I will always remember and treasure the friendship we shared.

Bon Voyage Pauline, you will be sorely missed.
                  Pat Roberts
                  Carleton Place

#2. Posted by Dennis Patterson on August 05, 2017

Pauline was a lovely person with an ever present smile…a pioneer nurse and great supporter of the Candy Stripers, proud of her Labrador heritage and pioneer Labrador family. I have fond memories of Pauline playing Christmas carols on the piano at our house. She and Jack were pillars of our community in the early days. Peaceful rest. Dennis Patterson

#3. Posted by Mary Z on August 08, 2017

Fionakulook and family. My condolences to all of you. Pauline, you have left us very good memories of you and were meant to give us love and respect to all of us Iqalumiut and Apex. May you rest in peace. Mary

#4. Posted by Candy Striper on August 09, 2017

I was a very young Teenager when Pauline recruited me as a Candy Striper at the hospital in Iqaluit.  It was a great Pleasure to be under the supervision of Pauline.  She wanted to make sure the patients and elderly were comfortable and came in to as much as possible comfortable and clean beds and bedding.  She taught me skills that I carry on today and compassion that brings great joy.  Pauline not only took care of hospital guests she also took care of me during those weeks.  I am forever grateful for having the opportunity to have been with Pauline as a Candy Striper, I enjoyed every moment.  She taught me so much about compassion and care for patients and persons in general.  She always gave time to bake or cook for those who family members when someone has passed away.  Thank you so much Pauline.  Our love and thoughts, prayers for strength for everyone.

#5. Posted by Fiona Hunt on August 10, 2017

On behalf of the Paton family, thank you very much for your memories and thoughts. Kindness and compassion were strong values that our mother held on to.

#6. Posted by Evie on August 17, 2017

I have lived in the area where she use to go pick Arctic Willows this time of year. I watched her pick them for 20 years. May you rest in peace.