NEWS: Nunavut April 18, 2017 - 11:43 am

Charles and Camilla set to visit Nunavut this summer: GG

"Their Royal Tour will take them to Ontario, Nunavut and Canada’s capital region"

The Clarence House official photo of Charles, the Prince of Wales, and his new bride Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall, on their wedding day in 2005.

Some Nunavut residents will get a chance this summer to see Charles, the Prince of Wales, and his wife, Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall.

Governor General David Johnston announced April 18 that they accepted the Government of Canada’s invitation to undertake a royal tour from June 29 to July 1 which will bring them to Ontario, Nunavut and the National Capital Region.

That’s also during the time frame when Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and other dignitaries are expected to visit Cambridge Bay, July 1, to officially open the Canadian High Arctic Research Station.

“Sharon and I will be delighted to welcome Their Royal Highnesses The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall to Canada as we celebrate the 150th anniversary of Confederation,” Johnston said.

“Their Royal Tour will take them to Ontario, Nunavut and Canada’s Capital Region. We are pleased they are joining in the sesquicentennial festivities, and look forward to Canadians having the opportunity to showcase the very best that our country has to offer.”

This will be the 18th visit to Canada for Charles and the fourth visit for Camilla.

The couple’s most recent royal tour in Canada took place in May 2014, during which they visited Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and Manitoba.

The detailed itinerary of the 2017 tour will be published at a later date by the Department of Canadian Heritage.

The last visit to Nunavut from the royal family was in September 2012, when Prince Edward, the Earl of Wessex and the third son of Queen Elizabeth II, and his wife Sophie Rhys-Jones, the Countess of Wessex, visited Iqaluit.

The Queen last visited Iqaluit in 2002.

Nunavut Premier Peter Taptuna said in a April 19 statement that he “looked forward to showcasing Nunavut’s culture, language and traditions under the midnight sun, and for Their Royal Highnesses to meet Nunavut Inuit and witness our strength and innovation firsthand.”

#1. Posted by Thomas Paine, author of The Rights of Man (1791) on April 18, 2017

“The monarachy is a silly, stupid thing—a plaything for the rich, and a menace for the poor.”

#2. Posted by Frankie on April 18, 2017

And a rich cultural tradition for all in the Commonwealth.

Are you saying that culture and tradition is of no value?

#3. Posted by Thomas Paine, author of The Rights of Man (1791) on April 18, 2017

As Tom Paine put it over two hundred years ago, “We cannot conceive a more ridiculous figure of government, than hereditary succession, in all its cases, presents.”

#4. Posted by Concerned on April 18, 2017

The days of Kings and Queens should be over, at least for Canada, there’s a reason we celebrate Canada Day, that’s the day we should have also left the Monarchy. These figure heads represent nothing but misery for the real true occupiers.

#5. Posted by What a waste! on April 18, 2017

I’m not a Royalist - they do not contribute to our country in any way but we dished out $43,000,000.00 for them last year alone and for what?  The funds could have been put to better use.

It’s time we cut off all ties with the pompous fam jam!

#6. Posted by unelected pecking order on April 18, 2017

An unelected head of state somehow justifies us having an unelected Senate—which is how unelected Conservative Dennis Patterson ends up representing a jurisdiction whose population is 85% Inuit… and claiming to be a fighter against colonialism. (snort) What a stupid way to govern a society!

#7. Posted by Ross on April 18, 2017

I welcome them with open arms to tour their realm. Am just so glad that it was not the Russians or the Chinese, or the Germans or any other nation that discovered us and laid claim to the north….Those that don’t like them move to another country. or Compare yourself how other countries treat their first nations? We are truly blessed that we live in a democratic country and would not have been possible if it were not for the Monarchy. Long Live The QUEEN and Her Descendants and my God keep Them safe. Your Majesty my door is wide open for you.

#8. Posted by To #7 on April 18, 2017

You’re so right, Ross. If those Blessed White people hadn’t been sent from England by God himself then we wouldn’t have known how to properly govern ourselves, would we?

#9. Posted by Reality Elder on April 19, 2017

A very good and honest comment #7 way to go Ross.
I knew trials and tragedys of the old days,and sarcastic talkers should
try it some time. I give them 2 months and they would run wee wee wee
all the way home!

#10. Posted by Lucy on April 19, 2017

It is nice how in this unsettled, hate-filled world there is still something bright.  I wish the queen could also visit but I welcome the Royal couple.

#11. Posted by Putuguk on April 19, 2017

I find our monarchy to be a great counterbalance to the dangers inherent with the tyranny of the majority.

Anyone who can point to the silliness of royalty in a modern world can just as easily point to an irrational, socially unjust results of republican populist political systems.

#12. Posted by Immigrant King on April 19, 2017

When the Prince of Wales becomes king, he will become our king.

He will not even bother to migrate this way.  Should the UK revolt, at least he could become our refugee King.  Good times can still happen in the crazy times.

#13. Posted by Useless as... on April 19, 2017

This “Royal” thing is as useless as Daylight savings time, You can’t make a longer blanket by cutting the bottom off and sewing it to the top. And when they come to visit Nunavut, the people will flock to see them and that’s it, just for entertainment. Waste of money when it should be spent on the wellness off Nunavummiut and housing.

#14. Posted by Wishing them well with welcome arms. on April 19, 2017

#7, Well comment gesture note. We are so lucky, they are coming on our way. Last time, I shook hands with the Prince was in 1970 when they visit Iqaluit. He was trying to talk to me but, I just kept on clicking my camera with no more film in it. I think he was attracted to my red parka. I hope our dear Anglican Minister Mike Gardener will be there too. Oh, how I miss Mike and Margaret Gardener even though I am not living in my home town.

#15. Posted by FAN on April 19, 2017

cool I hope Arctic Bay

#16. Posted by Welcome them with open arms. on April 19, 2017

Nunatsiaq news, thank for the beautiful picture of our future king Prince Charles and his wife Camilla.

#17. Posted by In the spirit of Inuit Qaujimajatuqangit on April 19, 2017

In the spirit of Inuit Qaujimajatuqangit and as thanks for the NLCA, God Save the Queen. Traditions, Canadian Traditions, are an important part of the conversation, moving forward.

Times are different now. Royals don’t ask the middle class poor to eat cake (like in France 100s of years ago).

Maybe Charles, the Prince of Wales, and his wife, Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall can get our Prime Minister to join in to actually sing God Save the Queen when they’re at the Harper/Leona project opening called CHARS.

smile

Have a great visit all

#18. Posted by Taken 4 on April 19, 2017

It won’t be long before Trump decides to take over Nunavut….maybe then it will finally be developed!

British Monarchy has never actually done anything for us.  They have only taken, taken and taken some more!!

#19. Posted by Trumpnaluk on April 19, 2017

Taken 4,,,Nooooo!!!

#20. Posted by uncle bob-Australia on April 20, 2017

I commented on this forthcoming trip some months ago when Charles hosted the language study group in Wales. I said then that Charles has never expressed interest in endangered languages before and that you can expect a trip from the freeloaders shortly.
I take it the few royalists will be out there licking their boots.

#21. Posted by Uncle Charlie on April 21, 2017

Uncle Bob # 20,
Good to hear your comments, some of my Brit. anscestors were
transported free of charge by the Royal family to OZ.
They became very proud ANZACS.
When U.K. joined the E.U. my wild Celtic father kicked the T.V. over
and bellowed, “We are betraying the Aussies and the Kiwis who stood
by us like true brothers! “.  The T. V. survived..
I think we have a lot in common. Celtic working people!!!
Unfortunately ever since Inuktitut was made part of the school program
it has gone down hill very rapidly. It should have stayed with the elders.
We only have ourselves to blame.
TAKE CARE.