Nunatsiaq Online
NEWS: Nunavut January 25, 2013 - 1:56 pm

Cape Dorset school lockdown scare ends quietly

“Everyone acted very quickly on this potential threat”

NUNATSIAQ NEWS

One person has been arrested and released pending a court appearance after being charged with one count of uttering threats, following a school lockdown at the Sam Pudlat Elementary School Jan. 24, an RCMP news release said.

The lockdown was lifted shortly after RCMP members arrived.

RCMP were notified around 9:45 a.m. that morning that a school lockdown had been ordered in response to a threat directed at a school staff member.

The charged person, who police did not identify in their release, is scheduled to make their first appearance May 6 in Cape Dorset. 



Once at the school, RCMP found that the threat was not directed at the school or its occupants.

“It was soon determined that the situation was not related to the school or the staff member’s employment but rather was of a personal nature,” the release said.

“Everyone acted very quickly on this potential threat,” Cpl. Yvonne Niego of the RCMP Community Policing Unit said.

The RCMP works closely with the community to ensure the safety of schools and children, she said.

“Although the threat was not based on the school personnel or children, our joint actions demonstrate that good processes are in place to protect our children and our community,” Niego said.

Email this story to a friend... Print this page... Bookmark and Share

 THIS WEEK’S ADS

 ADVERTISING


        


Custom Search