NEWS: Nunavut January 06, 2017 - 8:30 am

Alianait arts fest to host Tanya Tagaq in 2017

Festival will also bring Dan Mangan, Jenn Grant and Neo IndigenA dance to Iqaluit

Tanya Tagaq sings at the 2014 Arctic Inspiration Prize gala in Ottawa. The throat singer is scheduled to perform in Iqaluit in September 2017, her first live performance in Nunavut's capital in over a decade. (FILE PHOTO)

Nunavut’s Alianait arts festival is ringing in the year 2017 with a new line-up of live shows, including a rare Nunavut performance by the territory’s award-winning artist Tanya Tagaq.

Alianait launches the first of its 2017 line-up, which kicks off Jan. 20 and Jan. 21 with a solo dance performance by Neo IndigenA, choreographed and performed by Santee Smith.

On April 1, Alianait welcomes Iqaluit-based gospel singer Looee Arreak for a show at Inuksuk High School, followed by a May 20 show by Vancouver-based JUNO winning singer-songwriter Dan Mangan.

Nunavummiut will have to wait until the fall to see Cambridge Bay-raised Tagaq on stage. The Polaris-winning throat singer is set to play in Iqaluit on Sept. 30, marking the first time Tagaq will have played in Nunavut’s capital in more than a decade.

Later this fall, Halifax folk-pop singer Jenn Grant will play in Iqaluit Oct. 7.

And on Nov. 2, a collective of performers from all three territories will join forces as North: a Pan-Territorial Celebration

Subscription series and tickets to the January NeoIndigenA performances are arlready on sale at Arctic Ventures Marketplace or through the Alianait website at http://www.alianait.ca. Series buyers save 20 per cent off ticket prices.

Elders and children 12 years and under accompanied by an adult are admitted to Alianait shows free of charge.

#1. Posted by Katajaqtiit on January 06, 2017

She is not a throat singer! Period!
She is a performer…..something else.

#2. Posted by Need on January 06, 2017

Tanya is what Inuit need. To become proud of their culture and entwine it with whatever Inuit are exposed to. In her case, it is heavy metal singing with throa music, she is inuk, yeah she probably knows how to traditionally throat sing I’m proud of her as a representative of Inuit and standing up for things we Inuit need to stand up for.

#3. Posted by Lobie Doser on January 06, 2017

Tanya is a credit to Nunavut and Canadians everywhere.
She has developed and followed her own style in a very good way.
The Beatles and the Rolling Stones did not become famous by singing
British folk ballads. They sang for youth everywhere.
Well said #2.
Go back to your traditional pop and chips #1
TTFN

#4. Posted by #3 on January 06, 2017

Agree with comment 1

#5. Posted by And you? on January 06, 2017

“Katajaqtiit” and #3, what is it exactly you do? Besides bash people with brave and caring souls that make you feel uncomfortable in your own skin.

#6. Posted by Inuk on January 07, 2017

I agree with number 1, not to put Tanya down but she is not a traditional throat singer, the title about her as a throat singer is misleading, people outside of Nunavut might think she is actually a throat singer.
Maybe a new title for her is in order to accurately portray what she is doing. Alternative throat singing/singer?  Avant-garde throat singing/singer?
For true throat singers it is a bit of a slap in the face for them when Tanya is categorized as a throat singer, I just think that to be more accurate it should be said as alternative throat singer or avant-garde throat singer. I know Tanya has her close friends that support her and get defensive with her but really she should not be mentioned as a throat singer. It’s misleading. Saying that all the best in the new year for Tanya.

#7. Posted by in the ear of the listener on January 08, 2017

Tanya is using her throat and creating communicating sounds that are used with music.  Whales communicating are recorded and used with music.  While we cannot sing along with Tanya’s throat songs or the whales communicating, we can experience something of a new communication through the expression of both.

#8. Posted by caledon on January 08, 2017

I had never heard of throats singing until I went to a concert and heard
Tanya Tagak.
I was so impressed by her unique and powerful performance, it reminded me of Buffy St. Marie.
Hope you keep going Tanya your style is great. You answer to none.
SLAN.

#9. Posted by Despite Yourself on January 10, 2017

I love this….“performer” slash throat singer.  She’s very talented.  She is a CONTEMPORARY Inuk Throat Singer and has amazing talent.

It’s ironic - a good portion of Capital City disses her when they themselves don’t even know the art of throat singing but for some reason, they totally feel threatened by her!  She’s not threatening, she’s very down to earth and loving, she loves everyone despite themselves and she still loves you even when you keep dissing her.

#10. Posted by Inuk on January 10, 2017

I am not threaten by her, for me its more of a annoyance than anything else.
Tradition means a lot for me and for a lot of people, so when Tanya is mentioned as a throat singer a lot of us who know what a throat singer is disagree and get a little annoyed. I think performers/artists, southerners like and enjoy her stuff, most Inuit I don’t think care too much for it like myself, yes it is different, some of it is interesting but not my cup of red rose tea.
I like the word contemporary or alternative, I think it fits well.

#11. Posted by REALITY ELDER on January 10, 2017

I have seen and heard Tanya do throats singing many times in
Cambridge Bay over the years, and she performs very well.
She is also a very good artist, and as an entertainer very popular with
elders and youth.
As a residential school survivor, I heard a lot of throats singing in the
igloo, but I prefer Tanya"s style.
God Bless.

#12. Posted by Incredible on January 11, 2017

I am soooo looking forward to her performance!!

#10 - your comment does not help anyone, especially yourself.  Inuit are best at putting down other Inuit and ensuring they never achieve success only because they themselves are not as successful.

Keep doing what you do best, Tanya.  You have incredible talent!

#13. Posted by Inuk on January 11, 2017

#12 I appreciate your comment and I didn’t mean to put Tanya or any other Inuit down as you say.
I am clarifying and expressing my thoughts on Tanya being portrayed as a throat singer, that’s all.
By doing that her close friends and relatives get very defensive.
Even so there are a lot of people who do not consider Tanya a throat singer when she performs her unique style. It should just be made clear that it is not a traditional Inuit throat singing, that’s all. I am not questioning her talents, she is talented at what she does.
All the best to you Tanya!

#14. Posted by me, myself & I on January 12, 2017

I do not feel threatened by Tanya but as an Inuk I would prefer someone else “representing” us. The first time I watched her perform I was so uncomfortable I started to cry. I cried because I have a hard enough time trying to explain our culture/traditions to non Inuit without someone like her getting in the mix.
@Tanya, please add the word contemporary or something of the sort in the title of your music. Call it what it is and always make sure you explain your style of music to the audience. Thanks in advance and best of luck to you!

#15. Posted by Canto on January 12, 2017

Do as you please Tanya
Inuit people have more problems than throatsinging.
Some people are so jealous of your success.
CAMBAY

#16. Posted by Pete on January 12, 2017

#15 throat singing is part of our culture and heritage, it means a lot for us Inuit. Being misrepresented and than having to explain to people that this type of performance in not part of our traditions only adds to our problems, I agree with Inuk and#14.
It is not jealousy or being threatened. It is very clear that what she does is not traditional throat singing. I have to ask why you feel threaten that we bring this to light? Why can’t Tanya add contemporary to let people know it is not traditional throat singing?